01 September 2009

Independent Study Proposal

Photography has played a very important yet unrecognized part in mankind’s history. The goal of my study is to examine this importance as well as the practical application of the photographic image in the modern, digital age. I want to gain a better understanding of how photography has developed since its origins in the 1800s and how this evolution has impacted man’s understanding of the world around him, specifically in the world of journalism.

Photojournalism is a rather anonymous branch of photography. As news and other participant media have become a web based field this is less and less the case, making photojournalism an important and powerful facet of modern society. In order to understand the growing importance of the digital image, I will be studying the history of the field and using it to inform my own photographic studies, namely, by becoming familiar with the technology that makes it possible, such as a digital SLR and photo editing technology.

I will be using a myriad of resources to learn about photojournalism, both in theory and practice, including books, essays, blogs, and other Internet media. I have purchased the following books which I will read and annotate throughout the year:

  • On Photography, Susan Sontag
  • After Photography¸ Fred Ritchin
  • Photography: A Concise History, Ian Jeffrey
  • American Photography and the American Dream, James Guimond
  • Beyond Photography, Jack Tait
  • On Assignment: Projects in Photojournalism; From Initial Planning to Final Selection of Photographs, Tony Spina
  • Basic Critical Theory for Photographers, Ashley la Grange

In addition to reading these books, I will be following these photography blogs regularly:

  • After Photography
  • The Imagist
  • NY Times Lens Blog
  • The National Geographic Photo blog

I have also made my own blog on which I will post photos and corresponding critical analysis or theory. I will update this blog three times a week, probably Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Each week will focus on a specific concept or topic that I encounter in my reading and research.

Every day, during my designated study period I will either be reading the books I have purchased, examining online photo exhibits, working on the blog, or becoming familiar with my digital SLR and/or Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom. I will be reading and studying photographic theory as well as examining the work of specific photographers. I will also reserve time during the week to take and edit photographs.

My long term goals for the year are to build up a portfolio of work, publish three-four photography books of my personal work and research/reflections, and set up a photography exhibit. The books will be self published and reflect the best or most interesting work from the portfolio I develop throughout the year. The exhibit can be held at Westhill, either in the media center, art department, or hallway, and I can personally explain and present the work shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment